Jay P. Granat, Ph.D., LMFT
Psychotherapist, Author, Founder
Several years ago, a journalist asked me for my thoughts on the main reasons couples seek out marriage counseling and/or legal advice.
Here are the most common concerns which clients have presented to me during my more than twenty five years in practice.
It should be noted that many couples who seek out therapists and lawyers are struggling with multiple issues simultaneously.
- Communication Problems
- Sexual Problems
- Substance Abuse
- Alcohol Abuse
- Verbal or Emotional Abuse
- Physical Abuse
- Conflicts Regarding Money
- Parenting Conflicts
- Untreated Mental Illness Or Personality Disorders
- Conflict With In Laws And Extended Family Members
- Conflict Regarding Money
- Trust Issues Due To Lying And Deception
- Addiction To Pornography
- Feeling Unloved Or Unappreciated
- Inability To Resolve Conflict
- An Unwillingness To Forgive, Forget and Move Forward
- An Inability To Compromise
- Conflicts Over Religion
- Difficulties Compromising And Functioning As A Team
This list is not in order of most common to least common. Rather, it is a general list highlighting the common themes presented by clients who often seek out therapists and attorneys.